Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Math U See


I ordered the Epsilon package from
Math-U-See, with an extra box of manipulative blocks so A1 and A2 could share. I was excited when the package arrived today, and brought the blocks upstairs to show the boys.

A1 was initially not interested, and stayed at the computer, playing rock songs on youtube. I showed A2 how to add two 3-digit numbers together, using the blocks. He immediately grasped the concept of combining to make tens, and was eager to make an equation for me to solve.

I asked A1 to get off the computer and take a look at the blocks. He came to the dining room with a chip on his shoulder, and I discouraged him from coming in, unless he brought a new, more positive attitude. I had to go out of the house for a few hours, so I left them, building structures with the blocks. Initially, I was hesitant about not using the blocks as they are intended, but a voice of reason told me just to let it be. And thank goodness for that. About 2 1/2 hours later, I received a call from Austin, telling me about the equations he and Aidan had been solving. Austin was teaching Aidan multiplication. They solved both 197 x 3 and 55 x 3, correctly. Great stuff!

Also, A1 asked A2 to draw a circle, then A1 labelled 0, 360 and 90 degrees on the circle. He asked A2 to solve for 180 x 2, and showed A2 how 180 degrees represents 1/2 of a circle. So, A2 was able to see that twice 180 equals 360. Great teaching method, Austin!

I asked Austin to show me how they solved the equations, and it seems that they didn't use the blocks. Instead, A1 says that he showed A2 the way A1's teachers had taught him in school. However it was acted out, doesn't really matter. I'm excited about the enthusiasm A1 demonstrated for math, and teaching his younger brother. He showed A2 the trick for multiplying by 10, and A2 was blown away at how big a number he can multiply now, knowing that all he has to do is add a zero! A2 loves big numbers ... particularly googol and infinity.

A1 is still reversing his numbers when he prints, but he is less resistant to writing, so that is another step in the right direction.

We worked on his Learning Plan today ... more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment