Thursday, April 29, 2010

OT Session with New Therapist

The April 12 session at Sense Ability didn't go very well. Austin had a disappointing day.

I dropped Austin off at OT, then drove directly to Toys R Us in Richmond, intending to purchase the Lego Star Wars Republic Gun Ship, as we had been told that it was in stock, there. They were actually sold out, so I returned to OT, empty-handed, to a very sad boy.

The session hadn't gone as Austin would have liked. Jane is new, and Sumanta had reviewed Austin's progress with her, before he left. Sumanta explained that he had focussed on gross motor development with Austin, and had spent hardly any time on writing. So, the message that Jane understood, was to pay attention to writing and get Austin onto a program of writing practice.

Jane met me when I arrived to pick up Austin, and gave me a sample of writing exercises for Austin to practice at home. She wanted him to work on the magic "C" (c, d, g, a ...) letters and the diving letters (n, m, p ...).

Austin wasn't interested in returning to OT the following week. It was a struggle to get him out the door, and we ended up arriving 10 minutes late to the April 19th session.

I met with Jane before the session. She was very receptive and positive. I explained that I don't think Austin is ready, yet, for formal letter formation practice. He was very upset after the April 12 session, and refused to practice the letters at home, all week. Jane understood why Austin didn't complain to her, directly. She knows he is sensitive and doesn't want to hurt her feelings.

Jane resolved to put Austin on a progressive writing program which would be more challenging for him. I responded with a suggestion that she focus on building relationship with Austin before trying to get him onto a writing program. I also shared with Jane, my observations that the gross motor work was generating positive results in all areas of Austin's life.

His self-regulation has improved immensely. He is making better decisions in social settings. He is choosing to write, to convey messages to others, or to remember things he has learned. These developments are taking place, without formal writing practice. I'm amazed and pleased. The occupational therapy has been wonderful for Austin.

Jane is making a solid effort to build a good relationship with Austin, and I can see him warming up to her, every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment