Monday, January 25, 2010

Music intervention

Last Monday, I spoke briefly with Austin's music teacher, George. In the weeks leading up to that lesson, Austin had been growing less and less interested in continuing with lessons. He couldn't articulate clearly what he didn't like, but he just didn't want to go anymore.

George had been working on introducing Austin to chords for the left hand, to go along with melodies that he likes. I guess this was getting too technical for Austin, and he was shutting down.

I explained to George that Austin wasn't having fun anymore, and that it was really important to us, that in both music and art, Austin experiences an absence of performance standards. George asked me what Austin thinks of his teaching, and I said, "He thinks you're trying to drive." George admitted that he naturally goes to a classical teaching model, even though he is customizing the lessons for Austin. He also feels an obligation to produce results for parents, who are paying for the lessons. I said, "That's the magic of this approach - you are getting through to him. I see him using chords when he tries to play a piece he likes, by ear. Even though it doesn't look like Austin is learning the theory, some information is definitely going in."

So, George asked me what I would like him to do differently, and I asked him to try "letting Austin drive for a while."

Austin came out of that session, jumping for joy. He described it as one of his favourite lessons, ever. And he has been playing "Pain," by Three Days Grace, all week long.

No comments:

Post a Comment