Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fun at OT




Austin loves going to his occupational therapy sessions. Sumantha is Austin's therapist, and he is great. Sumantha has easily developed a good relationship with Austin, and keeps the sessions fun and interesting.

As you can see in one of the photos, Austin genuinely enjoys the activities.

In one photo, Austin and Sumantha are standing on inflated innertubes, facing each other. The goal is to knock the opponent off their innertube, by tossing a punching bag (which is hanging by a rope from the ceiling) to them. Austin maintained good balance, and thoroughly enjoyed the session.

In another photo, we see Austin's beautiful smile while he's inside a lycra tunnel. He either climbs through this tunnel, or has to hold on and try to stay standing as Sumantha shakes the tunnel at increasing speed and movement.

Austin played a game of Rush Hour (a puzzle game where you need to find a way to move the vehicles out of the way of the red engine, so it can pass through and off the board), in the "Superman swing." This exercise helps to build Austin's upper body muscles.

Sumantha explained that he is gradually building Austin's muscle strength from his shoulders to his wrist, which will help to make writing easier for Austin. Now, Sumantha has observed that Austin uses some shoulder strength for writing.

This reminded me of our ATV trip about 5 years ago, near Watson Lake, YT. I was driving my own ATV home from an overnight camping trip. During that day, I began pressing the throttle with my thumb, and as my thumb weakened, I was using my wrist muscles, then my lower arm, my upper arm, and by the end of the trip, I could only press that throttle with the little strength I could muster from my shoulder!

1 comment:

  1. Good news Carla - such a busy boy! I found your muscle experience most interesting because that is exactly what polio people experience. They use good muscles to compensate for weak. I don't have any inside muscles on my left leg - it is my outside muscles and foot muscles that enable me to walk. That is why I have so much difficulty with stairs because I don't have much in the way of knee muscles and can only lift my leg a few inches but I can propel my leg forward. That is one explanation for post polio problems - they feel that the muscles that have been doing double duty for so long are simply getting tired. That is why my doctor said that sleep was most important for rejuvenation. Adaptation is a fascinating subject - just watch the human race handle climate change - I know we can do it!!

    ReplyDelete