Monday, November 9, 2009

Testing, testing, 1,2,3 ...

This has been testing week for Austin. He is going through a comprehensive psycho-educational assessment with a registered child psychologist (Joan). This assessment involves three 2-hour sessions 1:1, Joan:Austin. November 3 was the first session, November 6 the second, and November 10 will be the final session.

On November 3, Austin brought a couple Lego creations to show Joan, and Joan was very obliging. She likes Lego and was curious about what they were and how they worked. Austin came out of the first session feeling really validated. It was cute, because Joan said, enthusiastically, "Neat kid! He has lots of smarts. He's so creative. We just have to find another way for him to express himself that doesn't involve writing." I agreed that Austin is very creative and has lots of imaginative ideas, and Austin looked accusingly at me, asking "Then why did you yell at me yesterday, saying I wasn't learning anything?" I didn't go into an explanation for Joan, I just said, "Yes, we had an altercation yesterday." Joan nodded and explained that she had heard all about it.

Truth is, I was busy working in my office, and Austin was playing Lego in his bedroom above me. I could hear "Pchew, pchew....." and had a pang of guilt that I wasn't properly educating my son, or adequately engaging him in "academic" pursuits. So, with this thought fueling my words, I suggested to Austin, that he consider doing a "learning" activity instead. Austin insisted that he *is* learning. And we got into an argument. It's particularly challenging when my head says one thing, and my heart reminds me that Austin is a 10-year-old boy and children learn through play.

On the second day of testing, Joan explained that Austin measured in the 99th percentile on the Patterns section of the test. So far, I don't know much about what this would indicate about Austin, but I gather these results are atypical. Skye and I will meet with Joan on the 12th, to discuss the results of the testing. Joan will write up an extensive and comprehensive report for us to use whenever we feel it would be appropriate and helpful. This is the nice part about seeking an assessment privately - we are in control of how/if the results are used in Austin's education.

Tomorrow, Austin will complete the testing. I'll pick him up early, from Academie Duello.

No comments:

Post a Comment