Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Wizard of Oz


During the hurricane (Tomas), I started reading the Wizard of Oz to the boys. I was blown away by how appropriate it was for our circumstances. We really had to just trust that everything was going to be okay as winds reached speeds of over 70 miles per hour.

We couldn't stay on the boat during the storm (too dangerous), so we stayed at a nice local hotel (Beachcomber). We lost power and water, and food was scarce for about 24 hours.

Here are a few quotes that I found to be most appropriate for our situation:

"At first she had wondered if she would be dashed to pieces when the house fell again; but as the hours passed and nothing terrible happened, she stopped worrying and resolved to wait calmly and see what the future would bring." - I read this from the first chapter, on our first night in St. Vincent (we were staying in an exposed apartment, with windows to the sea.

"I'm afraid, my dear, you shall have to live with us." This was spoken by the good witch of the North, when Dorothy was in the land of the Munchkins. I remember having to resign myself to things that are beyond my control. Austin has embraced the Island culture very well and can describe such a mentality with ease.

"So she went to the cupboard and cut herself some bread, which she spread with butter." On Halloween night, we had no power in our new hotel, and the only food available (besides what we dubbed dog food sandwiches) was bread and butter. I read this third chapter on our third night (Oct. 31).

Anyway, Aidan and Austin have been enjoying the book, and after chapter 6, Austin couldn't wait for the next read-aloud session to find out what happens next. He finished the book on his own, and continued to join Aidan and I to listen to the book being read aloud.


No comments:

Post a Comment