Monday, March 15, 2010

Developing Empathy

While A1 and I were driving to OT this morning, there was a news report on Joannie Rochette. It had been announced that she will not compete in the World Figure Skating Championships in Turin.

Austin said, "Poor Joannie. It's so hard for her now. Can you imagine what it would be like to lose your mother just 2 days before you have to perform in front of the world?"

"She really deserved her bronze medal. When I saw the American come out, I was holding my breath, because if she placed anywhere on the podium, Joannie would have been out."

"The Americans have always been on the podium in Olympic Women's Figure Skating."

Austin clearly remembered some points raised by commentators during the Olympic Games, because these points were not stated in the news announcement we heard this morning. I'm not sure about the accuracy of "always" in reference to the USA being on the podium for this sport in every Winter Olympics, but I do remember it was significant that they didn't have a podium spot in the 2010 Games for Women's Figure Skating.

I am really impressed with Austin's increased ability to empathize. Jen (Austin's LC) wondered if his OT sessions have had anything to do with the increased empathy. I inquired with Sumanta this morning, and he answered emphatically, "Yes!" He will find some articles to explain this phenomenon to me. Basically, he explained that, when A1 is getting his physical movement, pressure and muscle development needs met, this frees him up, emotionally, to be able to put himself into someone else's shoes. Also, there are connections forming in his brain that will encourage this development. Cool!

While I'm sure the OT sessions can't be given full credit for Austin's growing ability to empathize with others, it is fascinating how the work can translate into so many areas of Austin's and our life.

1 comment:

  1. I am continuing to read and enjoy your blogs even though I'm away off in Africa!
    L. Nana/Mum/Katie

    ReplyDelete