Friday, December 11, 2009

A Riddle

While driving to Po-Co with Austin today I gave him a riddle to solve.

What English word is pronounced the same when four of its five letters are removed?

We worked through the clues over the next 40 minutes. One of the main clues that he arrived at was that the final "word" is a single letter word so we started going through the alphabet to see what single letters also made words. Some of the ones he came up with were:

  • Why
  • Pee
  • Pea
  • Sea
  • I
  • Cue
  • A
  • You
  • Are
  • Tea
  • Tee

None of these there were 5 letters long but he was close so I helped by introducing him to the word Queue which he hasn't heard much. We then discussed how in England it's the preferred way to describe what we would call a line-up of people in North America (as in the bit in Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie where Arthur Dent says, "OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.").



No comments:

Post a Comment